Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
- Robert Frost, 1914. Excerpt from „Mending Walls”
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence. [...]
As you can probably tell by the URL, you found the homepage of
Yet Another Steffen Müller.
There is a number of mostly unrelated things being hosted here. Chances are
you are looking for one of them and stumbled across the domain.
Please excuse the mixed use of English and German.
I'm a physicist turned software developer working for booking.com
in beautiful Amsterdam.
The following section primarily contains information about programming I have done and
projects I am currently pursuing. This includes contract work as well as
code that has been extracted from material used in my studies of physics.
- pp - The PAR Packager
As part of the PAR-Packer
distribution which I maintain, this is a tool for
producing stand-alone executables from Perl applications.
- dumbbench - More reliable benchmarking with the least amount of thinking
- fqstat - An interactive console based front-end for Sun's Grid Engine
- cpan2par - Create PAR distributions from CPAN
- ppd2par - Create PAR distributions from PPD XML files
- parinstallppd - Install PPD/PPM packages using PAR
- parinstallppdgui - GUI front-end for parinstallppd
- errorcalculator - Calculations on Spreadsheets (i.e. matrices) with Gaussian Error Propagation
- symevol - Evolutionary algorithms applied to symbolic formulas
- tk-motion - Create particle simulations from differential equations
- mp3shell - Manage a database of your MP3 collection
- func - plot 2d functions into PNGs
- threedp - project s(t,u) = (x(t,u), y(t,u), z(t,u)) onto an arbitrary plane in R^3
- markov - run Markov Algorithms
- huffman - generate Huffman encodings
- chomsky - determine Chomsky type of a grammar (old and broken)
- sizetree - create HTML trees of file/directory tree sizes
- modver - search for Perl module version information
- A hacked version of the AS perldoc to allow full text searching of the FAQ (Taken from 5.6.1 build 631.)
- chef - an interpreter/compiler for the Chef programming language (See modules)
I maintain over a hundred distributions of Perl modules and scripts which are
all available from the
Comprehensive Perl Archive Network
short CPAN. According to Simon Wistow's
that makes me the author with the sixth most distributions over all.
The distributions used to be listed here, but I moved the
lengthy list of distributions to its own page.
This section contains material related to my studies of physics at the
University of Karlsruhe. (This section is German at the moment.)
Computer generated graphics
Solar system simulations
These simulations were created with the Simulation::Particle Perl module mentioned
Evolutionary algorithm visualization
The following animations show the evolution of a matrix of formulas
of numbers and operators approaching pi. The formulas are "mutated" according
to certain rules. A close approximation of pi is honoured by spreading the
corresponding formula to neighbouring cells. The lighter the cell, the better
For more information, see symevol.
If you read the information scattered in the previous sections, you will
have gathered quite a bit about me. If I find the need or inclination to
present myself any more detailed in the future, I will do so at this location.
I occasionally muse on various things Perl at my use.perl.org
or blogs.perl.org journals.
The one thing I'll mention here is my GPG Public Key. In case you feel
the urge to send me encrypted mail or verify the validity of my CPAN
(c) 2002-2010 Steffen Müller; All rights reserved.